Luxury travelers are setting their sights for summer travel on emerging destinations all over the world. According to a new analysis from global luxury travel network Virtuoso®it is crystal clear that traveling is the most reliving thing in summers. Known as a prominent trend predictor, Virtuoso has examined its data warehouse of $49.5 billion in bookings to forecast.
The analysis showcases upscale voyagers are heading this summer. European countries continue to be most popular, while the fastest-growing locales point to a desire for culturally immersive experiences.
The Virtuoso Top 10:
The most popular destinations for the summer of 2019 (according to bookings) are:
1. United States
6. South Africa
3. United Kingdom
The Top 10 Analysis:
- As Americans plan their summer getaways, some are opting to stay closer to home and explore their own country. This puts the United States in the number-one slot. The scenery and diversity of national parks appeal to families and adventurers alike when the temps warm up.
- Europe, always a favorite, claims eight spots in the Top 10. History, culture, cuisine and abundant luxury offerings make Europe a preferred option for upscale travelers.
- Notably, Spain moves up three places from last summer, as it offers better value compared to other spots in Western Europe.
- South Africa‘s winter season offers excellent viewing conditions for safaris as well as peak whale watching.
The Virtuoso Hot 10:
The countries that have experienced the largest year-over-year percentage increases in summer bookings.
1. Chile (+410%)
6. Kenya (+89%)
2. India (+173%)
7. Egypt (+76%)
3. Puerto Rico (+149%)
8. Singapore (+73%)
4. Philippines (+129%)
9. Costa Rica (+67%)
5. Belgium (+111%)
10. Dominican Republic (+58%)
The Hot 10 Analysis:
- Chile continues its upswing in popularity by offering a variety of terrain from the Atacama Desert to the Lake District to the Andes Mountains to wine valleys.
- India and the Philippines are among the more exotic destinations luring visitors with their ability to deliver on the authenticity so desired by luxe travelers.
- Kenya offers outstanding safari opportunities as well as the wildebeest migration in the Maasai Mara, UNESCO World Heritage Sites and beaches.
- Travelers looking for sun and sand are escaping to Caribbean destinations such as Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.
- Pop culture tourism is fueling interest in Singapore, the setting for the hit film “Crazy Rich Asians.”
P.S: Data is sourced from Virtuoso’s U.S. travel agency members and includes travel for June, July and August 2019.