“If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t walk run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving. – Martin Luther King Jr.”
DutyFreeList in conversation with fierce and inspiring flight attendant, Celia Jakob. She was vocal about sharing her views on life and works.
How would you describe your 2018, in terms of best cities to visit?
The best cities I’ve visited in 2018 were Hong Kong and Baku.
- Baku really surprised me. I went to see the annual Formula 1 race and can recommend this experience with all of my heart! The city was so alive and also very beautiful and the people there were so incredibly kind.
- Hong Kong is, to me, one of the best cities of this world! And also a memorable one for parties and nightlife. When you go there, begin the night with the Ophelia Bar, move on to the Lan Kwai Fong district, afterwards go to Bar Amazonia in Wan Chai and then walk a few doors down over to the Dusk till Dawn.
Any unusual request that you came across while on duty via a traveler.
Being a flight attendant, I’ve received so many “unusual requests” that nothing seems unusual to me anymore. One that stood out though, was a passenger wanting a vegetarian hot-towel to wipe his hands with. I was so confused because, is there such a thing as a non-vegetarian hot-towel? Lol.
What is the secret to managing work and life with grace.
3 strengths according to you is a must-have in this profession.
- Flexibility. Things around you are constantly changing and you have to be able to adapt fast.
- Be service-minded. You’re there to serve your guests and make sure their experience on board was TRULY wonderful. That takes a lot!
- Be in control of your feelings. Being surrounded by people all the time and everyday – especially people who want something from you – can get to your nerves at times. It’s so important to still be able to smile and be kind, even though you might not feel like it sometimes.
Do you use any travel related app(s)? If yes, what are they.
Does Instagram count? When I am in a city, I often check out the pictures of a certain hash-tagged location or restaurant to see if that’s a place I’d like to go.