Bacardi Global Travel Retail has partnered with DFS for the global travel retail-exclusive launch of a Dewar’s whisky collection at Singapore Changi Airport.
Dewar’s Double Double is a new series of aged statement blend scotch whiskies. Four-stage ageing process follows the process of crafting. The inspiration is taken from the brand’s history and the technique of Master Blenders past and present.
The first Dewar’s Master Blender, A.J. Cameron, introduced his ‘double-ageing’ process in 1881 and added further innovations in 1901. Building on this, current Master Blender Stephanie Macleod has sought improvement and unveiled a four-stage ageing process.
- In the first step, malt and grain whiskies distills and after that aging takes place in separate oak casks.
- Removing the malt whiskies fom cask, blending and aging a second time – together – in oak casks, in the second step. In parallel, removing the grain whiskies from cask, blending and aging again together.
- The stage three blending the malt and grain whiskies together, then aging a third time.
- In the final step, transferring the whisky to sherry casks for finishing.
The Dewar’s Double Double series comprises three age variants – 21yo, 27yo and 32yo.
- 21yo finishes in Oloroso sherry casks (ABV 46%, US$90)
- 27yo finishes in Palo Cortado sherry casks (ABV 46%, US$160).
- 32yo finishes in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks (ABV 46%, US$250)
The packaging has been designed by Stranger & Stranger. It features a distinctive four-point star bottle housed in a “fresh and contemporary” white presentation box, Bacardi said.
“Over the past five years, Bacardi has brought an incredible pipeline of whisky innovation into global travel retail,” said Bacardi Global Travel Retail Marketing Director Julie Witherden.
“The channel has a vibrant mix of consumers from emerging markets at the second stage of luxury and are actively seeking new discoveries, especially in aged whisky. This new wave, combined with the specialist whisky status of travel retail amongst established connoisseurs and collectors, makes this an important strategic market for Bacardi. For these reasons, we knew Dewar’s Double Double had to launch in global travel retail first.
“We are delighted that DFS is our launch partner as their whisky retailing expertise is world-class and the quality of their stores and bars at Changi will provide the optimum location for this exciting innovation.”
The series is initially available exclusively with DFS, and the launch is receiving support by a communications campaign running on the retailer’s digital platforms.